At James Orpwood Mountaineering, we are now welcoming clients back to the Scottish mountains.
You can book with confidence, knowing that your payment will be secure if circumstances change. If travel restrictions, local lockdowns, or adhering to Government guidelines related to Coronavirus make fulfilment of your booking impossible, either by you or by us, we will offer you a full refund, or the opportunity to transfer your booking to an alternative and mutually agreeable date. This includes the need for you or a member of your household to self-isolate.
If, within 14 days of your activity with us, you or anyone in your household shows symptoms of Coronavirus, you must stay at home, or go home, and self-isolate for 14 days. Do not attempt to attend the activity. This applies both before and during your activity with us. Let us know if you develop symptoms of Coronavirus within 14 days of the end of your activity with us.
For our guided hill walking and mountain skills training, we have additional measures in place to manage the risk posed by Coronavirus.
As always, we take your safety extremely seriously, and we will take appropriate steps to reduce the risk posed by Coronavirus. This is not only for your safety and the safety of your guide, but also to minimise the risk to others with whom you may come into contact during your time in the Highlands.
Due to the nature of Coronavirus, we cannot guarantee that you will not be exposed to the virus during your time with us. However, being outside is considered lower risk than being indoors, and even during “normal” times, we work with small groups in relatively remote places. Nonetheless, for the foreseeable future, we will be operating in a manner which aims to further reduce the risk of infection and transmission.
The following steps will be taken:
- We will meet you at the starting point for the activity. Please avoid using public transport if possible. Sharing a vehicle with anyone from another household is discouraged unless appropriate mitigation measures are in place.
- Greetings, briefings, demonstrations etc. will be non-contact.
- Please bring your own hand sanitizer.
- On the first morning of your activity, all participants will be given a complimentary branded piece of individually-wrapped Buff-style headwear, to use during your activity, and to take away with you for future use. This is NOT a medical-grade face mask, and is not designed for that purpose, but it can be worn as a face covering.
- Social distancing will be maintained as far as practically possible (i.e. staying 2 m away from any person from another household). Where this is not possible, a face covering must be worn.
- The guide’s First Aid kit will, as usual, contain hand sanitizer and disposable gloves. It will also contain a medical-grade face mask for use by the guide, should it be necessary to administer First Aid.
- You will be encouraged to take particular personal responsibility for any medical issues (non Coronavirus-related) that you may have.
- It is particularly important that you arrive suitably equipped for the activity, as detailed in the kit list supplied at the time of booking. At the moment, it is inappropriate to use anything other than your own personal kit, unless this has been pre-arranged.
- When handing out any pre-arranged hire kit, strict hygiene procedures will be followed. Such kit will have been quarantined for a minimum of 72 hours prior to use.
- As usual, we will be operating with small groups (up to 6 participants for guided hill walking and up to 4 participants for courses). The guide will be working with participants from a maximum of two other households.
Please be aware that mountain rescue teams are currently operating a reduced service. We will therefore be operating well within our capabilities, avoiding taking any unnecessary risks, and working on the basis that mountain rescue help will be slower to respond with reduced capability if we get into any difficulties.
Thank you for playing your part in the delivery of what will hopefully be a safe, fun and rewarding activity for all concerned. We look forward to welcoming you.
18th July 2020